UNCG’s Department of Kinesiology has one of the most comprehensive programs in the country, including faculty with expertise in nine sub-disciplines:
- Athletic Training
- Community Youth Sports Development
- Exercise Physiology
- Motor Behavior
- Applied Neuromechanics
- Pedagogy in Physical Education
- Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Sport History and Philosophy
- Sports Medicine
Students and faculty enjoy longstanding partnerships with UNCG Athletics, the Middle College at UNCG, local schools, various community organizations, and sports teams and clubs across the state.
Faculty bring in over $1 million dollars in research funding annually, providing students the opportunity to gain research experience and mentoring from internationally and nationally recognized experts in the field.
Undergraduate students are prepared as professionals focused on human movement with the goals of increasing physical activity, improving physical performance, and enhancing health and well-being across the lifespan. They are exposed to a multitude of career avenues and benefit from opportunities to gain experience through community-engaged service programs, research projects, and internships.
The department offers both applied and research-oriented graduate programs. Our department offers one of the two online Ed.D. programs in the country, and the National Academy of Kinesiology ranks the Ph.D. program in the top 15 in the nation (2020). Strong clinical programs in applied sport psychology and athletic training develop expertise by providing opportunities to work with high school, collegiate, and professional sports teams across North Carolina and provide opportunities for certification.
Our work is conducted in high-quality laboratory and clinical environments including a brand new sleep laboratory and kitchen, environmental chamber, multiple systems for fitness testing and body composition, EEG, MRI, cognitive assessment, sport psychology consulting, and athletic training. We provide opportunities and mentorship to prepare graduate students to become independent scholars, skillful clinicians, and accomplished teachers well-prepared to move into a higher level of study or an academic position.
|Applied Sport Psychology
|Clinical Exercise Physiology
|Motor Behavior Concentration
|Sport and Exercise Psychology
|In Person / Online
|Curriculum and Pedagogy Studies in Physical Education
|Doctor of Education
- Fourth largest undergraduate program and 3rd largest graduate program at UNCG with over 600 undergraduate and 180 graduate students.
- One of 12 departments at UNCG with over $1 million in external funding to support scholarship.
- Moss Street Elementary and Middle College at UNCG relationships allow for teaching, training, and scholarship opportunities with school-aged children.
- As undergraduates, students have opportunities to apply the skills they are learning through community programs:
- HOPE (Helping Others Participate in Exercise)
- BELT (Bariatric Exercise and Lifestyle Training), an exercise program for individuals relative to bariatric surgery
- Project Effort, an after-school physical activity program focused on developing leadership skills through sport
- The Restorative Justice Program at Dudley High School
- Additional internship opportunities
- Ethnically diverse student population – over 40% of undergraduates and approximately 50% of the 2023 incoming class of graduate students identify as people of color or international students
- Universities.com ranks UNCG as the top undergraduate Kinesiology program in North Carolina (2022).
- #8 ranked applied sport and exercise psychology master’s program in the United States (2022)
- M.S.A.T. program with exceptionally high pass-rate of board tests.
- Offer possibility to dual major in Physical Education and Kinesiology and to minor in Sports Coaching