Catching up with 2019 Ed.D. in KIN Alumni Callie Phillips

Posted on December 03, 2020

Dr. Callie Phillips is currently the Head Volleyball Coach and an Adjunct Professor at Johnson & Wales University in Charlotte, North Carolina. 

Since earning her doctorate degree Callie has been busy – coaching and teaching! She is managing a nationally-ranked, championship contending volleyball program and teaching a course on coaching and athletic administration at Johnson & Wales University. The university is adding a master’s program in sport management in 2021, and Callie hopes to teach a course for it as well. Additionally, as Johnson & Wales plans to expand some undergraduate programs, Callie is looking to propose a Kinesiology degree or courses in the subject area. Recently she was asked to sit on a virtual panel on Women’s Leadership in Sport for the USCAA, and her team played in its second national title game this past season. The team claimed the USCAA Division II National Title in 2018 and were the runners-up in 2019.  Callie has coached 13 All-Americans and 25 Academic All-Americans in her 11-year tenure at Johnson & Wales University. The team will return to the court in Spring 2021 after its fall season was postponed.

Callie shared with us, “I am so grateful for my time at UNCG. The Ed.D. program really helped me understand academics and expectations in higher education. My background was in secondary education, so I had to learn the differences between the two and how things work at this level. It also gave me the ability to pursue more expertise in my area of coaching so that I can be a better professor and coach.” 

Keep up the good work Callie!