For more than a century, our department has built an outstanding track record in teaching health science, pioneering scientific research, and forming extensive community partnerships and outreach. We offer a range of programs face-to-face and online, including our leading-edge EdD online doctoral program. Graduates of our programs can go on to careers in education, fitness training, sports medicine, community development, and many other areas. We invite you to explore the site to learn more about the Department of Kinesiology and our diverse, expanding family of students, researchers, faculty, and graduates.
As one of the fastest-growing fields nationally and at UNCG, kinesiology’s early years as a profession were devoted almost exclusively to the preparation of physical education teachers and coaches. Now this multifaceted academic discipline centers on the study of physical activity and its impact on health, society, and quality of life. With rigorous interdisciplinary education and experiential learning in applied, clinical, community and research settings, the Department of Kinesiology offers a range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs designed to maximize your opportunities for a diverse range of careers.
- cardiopulmonary rehabilitation specialist
- exercise physiologist
- physical education / health teacher
- fitness leader / personal trainer
- health coaching
- strength and conditioning coach, mental skills coach
- certified athletic trainer
- sport coach, director of community youth sport programs
- faculty member, researcher
- preparation for health professions such as nurse, physician’s assistant, physical therapist, occupational therapist or medical doctor
Kin NewsSee All News
- EdD in KIN student Teresa Martilik and her students participated in National Special Olympics Unified Conference - EdD in KIN student Teresa Martilik, a member of the 2015 EdD in Kinesiology cohort presented with her teacher colleague, Megan Smith and her students, ...
- EdD in KIN Student Katie Wurst Appointed as the director of rugby at Queens University of Charlotte - EdD in KIN student Katie Wurst, a member of the 2014 EdD in Kinesiology cohort was recently appointed as the Director of Rugby at Queens University ...
- EDD STUDENTS AND FACULTY GOT TOGETHER AND CHEERED ON THE SPARTANS - On February 25, approximately 60 of the EdD in Kinesiology students, faculty, staff, and their families gathered together for a social hosted by the EdD in ...
Kin EventsSee All Events
- Spring 2017 Colloquia February 24, 2017 February 24, 2017 March 31, 2017 April 21, 2017
- KIN Departmental Graduation Ceremony May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017 Kinesiology Departmental Graduation Ceremony, 2:00 pm, Fleming Gym. If you are a graduate or undergraduate student that will graduate in either May 2017 ...
- Alumni Profile: Josh Porter - The UNCG KIN department is proud to highlight Josh Porter (B.S. in Exercise Science with a concentration in Sports Medicine; M.S.A.T, 2008), one of its many esteemed alumni who have invested their knowledge and skills gained at UNCG to work ...
- Faculty Profile: Dr. Michael Hemphill - The UNCG KIN department is glad to recognize a new member of its close-knit community, Michael Hemphill, the new Assistant Professor of Kinesiology. Hemphill holds a Bachelor’s degree from Wingate University (NC) and a Ph.D. from Purdue University. Previously, he ...