Department of Kinesiology

School of Health and Human Sciences

Graduate: Fellowships and Funding

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Assistantship opportunities for graduate students in the Department of Kinesiology (KIN) include teaching assistantships, research assistantships and clinical assistantships.

Assistantships will be awarded based on the information contained in the Graduate School application including the candidate’s academic credentials (GPA, GRE Scores) and KIN application materials (resume, references, goal statement). To ensure full consideration, all materials must be received no later than January 15th. To be eligible for any type of assistantship, graduate students must be unconditionally admitted to a graduate degree program in KIN, be enrolled full-time (9 or more credit hours per semester), and demonstrate a clear record of progress toward degree completion.  New students must have earned a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in their previous academic program. All students awarded an assistantship must maintain a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.

Teaching Assistant (TA): The department funds several teaching assistantships each year. Responsibilities typically involve teaching sport and exercise activity classes (you may list any experience that speaks to your ability to teach such classes on your resume). Advanced students may also assist with the instruction of undergraduate theory courses.

Research Assistant (RA): Research assistantships are subject to available funding. Responsibilities center on helping faculty to pursue their research. Duties vary greatly depending on faculty interests and expertise, but may include subject recruitment, data collection and reduction, computer entry and analyses, literature searches, and teaching of laboratory sections in undergraduate courses. For more information on research assistantships in your area of interest, please contact faculty members directly.

Graduate Clinical Assistantships (GA): Clinical assistantships include opportunities both within and outside the department. For more information on these opportunities, as well as application instructions, please access the contact information below.

Athletic Training: Graduate assistant athletic training positions are funded through UNCG athletics and surrounding universities. Eligible candidates must be board certified athletic trainers in good standing. For information on available assistantships each Fall, contact Mr. Jay McCloy at

HOPE (Helping Others Participate in Exercise): Eligible candidates must hold credentials as an NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists or ACSM Exercise Physiologist (or higher). For further information read about HOPE and contact Anne Brady at

Office of Recreation and Wellness: For further information contact the Department of Recreation and Wellness at 336-334-5924.


This award makes possible the attendance of one or two graduate students/year to attend cutting edge professional development.

This award is given for excellence in writing. Please see details at the

Kinesiology Scholarships, Fellowships, and Program Awards.

This fellowship is to support a HHS graduate student with the intention to conduct research in the area of diversity, specifically issues related to sexual orientation.

This award is for a graduate student from any department in the School of HHS who plans to conduct a research project focusing on some aspect of arts health.

Graduate School/School of HHS/Stout Summer Research Assistantships

These assistantships assist students in making progress toward completing their degree by using part of the summer to conduct research or to engage in other scholarly activities related to the student’s program of study.

These applications are due in January each year to the Kinesiology graduate studies coordinator in 250 Coleman Building. Please see details on the Kinesiology Graduate Scholarship information .

Graduate Student Association Funds

Professional Development Funds (up to $400)

These funds are provided by the Graduate Student Association (GSA) to support graduate students attendance at professional conferences including travel, hotels, food, etc. Applications are reviewed on a first come, first serve basis so apply early. They need to be turned into the GSA office at 222U Elliott University Center.

Thesis/Dissertation Funds (up to $400)

These funds are provided by the Graduate Student Association (GSA) to refund up to $400 to help offset the cost of completing a thesis or dissertation. Applications are reviewed on a first come, first serve basis so apply early. They need to be turned into the GSA office at 222U Elliott University Center.

Research Travel Grant

The GSA offers two (2) highly competitive, $1,000 Research Travel Grants per funding cycle (Fall, Spring, Summer I, and Summer II).

School of HHS Travel Awards

Travel awards up to $200 are available for students travelling to a professional conference to present as authors or co-authors of a paper or for poster presentations.  More information about these awards and the application can be found at HHS Travel Awards.

Other Possible Scholarship Opportunities

Please visit the Graduate School’s website for other scholarships that may be available.