Department of Kinesiology

School of Health and Human Sciences

Admitted & Current: Advising

The Department of Kinesiology believes in the intentionality of the student to be responsible for their educational progress. Although all the KIN faculty and staff are dedicated to the academic success of the students, it is ultimately the individual responsibility of the student to make satisfactory progress.

This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Understanding their course sequences
  • Prerequisites
  • Academic milestones
  • General departmental, school, and University guidelines

For more information, please see the Student Forms tab or Sample Plans of Study page.


  • Welcome Class of 2022! Be sure you’re checking your UNCG email address for information on SOAR for new students, and SOAR and ARA for transfer students.
  • Beginning Fall 2016, you must receive a C- or higher in BIO 111, a C or higher in Anatomy, and a C or higher in KIN 250 to receive credit for the course. You must also receive a C or higher in any course with prefix: KIN.

Freshmen and Sophomore Students

Freshmen and sophomore students are advised through the HHS Advising Center. To receive your advising code, meet with an advisor, or get help planning your schedule, contact the HHS Advising Center in 228 Stone Building at 336-334-9753 or This does not include PEHTE students.

Juniors and Seniors

To receive your advising code, meet with an advisor, and plan your next steps you must attend the All Day Advising session held once a semester. Information about All Day Advising is sent out via email, so please check your UNCG email frequently.

First Year Transfers/New Admits to KIN

Transfer students DO NOT make individual appointments with advisors. Transfer students will need to attend a SOAR or ARA session. This is hosted through the HHS Advising Center. Be on the lookout for information regarding these sessions in your UNCG email account.

Transfer students wishing to petition a WI, SI, and higher than 300 level credit should contact the department from which the course was taken. The process requires the student to approach the Academic Department in which that course would have been taught at UNCG for review. This holds true no matter what the student is majoring in at UNCG. For example, a Business major who had taken Biology class at another institution that was taught as Writing Intensive there would need to approach the Biology Department here for a WI review. Departmental contact information can be found on the Department’s UNCG website.

Undergraduate Students Change of Major

Any student who declares “Kinesiology” as their major will formally be designated as “pre-kinesiology.” This designation does prevent students from enrolling in certain courses and progressing through their plan of study. Students should use Degree Works in conjunction with the 2017-2018 Undergraduate Bulletin to plan to ensure they are making satisfactory progress.

Please fill out the UNCG Registrar’s Office Change of Major/Minor Form. Fill in all necessary information, select “PKIN: Kinesiology” in the “Change Primary Major To” drop down box and submit. If you are interested in Physical Education and Health Teacher Education, please contact Judy Fowler at Follow directions above, but select “PKIN: Physical Education and Health Teacher Education (BS).” Please note: Allow seven business days for processing.

Major Application (Moving from PKIN to KINE)

Once you have completed KIN 250 (C or higher), BIO 111 (C- or higher), and KIN 291 or BIO 271 (C or higher) and a major GPA* of 2.5 or higher, you may apply to the KIN major. You must have final grades entered for the courses before you may apply. The major application form is found here.
*See the GPA located to the right of the section “Pre-Major in Pre-Kinesiology, BS” on your Degree Works.

Online Appeal Form

To complete an appeal, click this link and follow all directions. An appeal can be completed for a range of issues including but not limited to: course substitution from a UNCG course, course substitution for a transferred course, pre-req to be admitted to a course, GPA needed to be admitted to a course, etc. Please read and follow all directions and submit all proper documents. Most appeals are reviewed by the KIN Undergraduate Studies Committee. This Committee typically meets once a month on the 3rd Tuesday. Appeals will be reviewed and voted on during these meetings. In order to have your appeal reviewed, it needs to be completed and submitted by the second Tuesday of each month to allow the Committee time to review the appeal. Please take this into consideration when submitting an appeal (especially if graduation, financial aid, course registration, etc. is at stake). Please see the sample student appeal letter for proper formatting under student forms.

Course Overload

A course overload is for students who want to take more than 18 credit hours in Fall or Spring. If you plan on taking Winter courses, keep in mind the credit hours are added to Spring. (i.e. 6ch in Winter, and 15ch in Spring.) To request a course overload, come to Coleman 237 to pick up the form. Be sure to fill in all information, contact your faculty advisor for approval, and return the form to Ms. Emily Britt in Coleman 237. Once the form has been processed, Ms. Britt will send you an email for your records.