Department of Kinesiology

School of Health and Human Sciences

Admitted & Current: Advising & Appeals

The Department of Kinesiology believes in the intentionality of the student to be responsible for their educational progress. Although all of the Kinesiology Department’s faculty and staff are dedicated to the academic success of our students, it is ultimately the individual responsibility of the student to make satisfactory progress.

This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Understanding course sequences
  • Prerequisites
  • Academic milestones
  • General departmental, school, and University guidelines

For more information, please see the Student Forms & Resources page.

  • Beginning Fall 2016, you must receive a C- or higher in BIO 111, a C or higher in Anatomy, and a C or higher in KIN 250 to receive credit for the course. You must also receive a C or higher in any course with prefix: KIN.




All Day Advising will take place on Friday, March 17, 2023. All Junior and Senior Kinesiology majors are required to attend. (Graduating seniors do not need to attend unless they want their advising code for Fall 2023.) Detailed instructions for how to fill out and submit the required advising documents were sent to all KIN undergraduate students on March 10, 13, and 15, 2023. (See links above.)

Physical Education & Health Teacher Education (PEHTE) majors of all levels, as well as all KIN/PEHTE double majors, are required to attend All Day Advising on March 17. Professor Judy Fowler sent out PEHTE-specific advising procedures via email to all Pre-PEHTE and PEHTE majors, and all KIN/PEHTE double majors, on March 10, 2023.


Freshmen and Sophomores

Freshman and Sophomore Kinesiology majors* are advised through the HHS Advising & Personal Development Center. If you need to meet with an advisor, or get help planning your schedule, contact HHS Advising at 336-334-9753 or The Advising center is located on the fourth floor of the Moore Building (318 McIver Street), *This does not include PEHTE students.

Freshman and Sophomore Kinesiology majors do not attend All Day Advising.

Advising for Fall 2023 will begin on March 13, 2023. Students can take a look at their Degree Works to find the name of their assigned HHS advisor.

Juniors and Seniors

Juniors and Seniors majoring in Kinesiology are assigned a Kinesiology faculty member as an advisor. Students are highly encouraged to communicate with their advisor regularly to answer questions about career planning, graduation requirements, graduate school planning, advising and registration, and more. Students can find their advisor(s) by looking at their Degree Works.

KIN Faculty biographies and contact information can be found in the Kinesiology Faculty and Staff directory.


All students majoring in Physical Education and Health Teacher Education (PEHTE) are advised by the program director, professor Judy Fowler,

First Year Transfers / New Admits to KIN

New freshmen and transfer students either have to attend a SOAR or ARA session -OR- will receive communication from their intended major with alternate advising instructions. Be on the lookout for information regarding orientation, advising, and registration in your UNCG iSpartan email account.

Interested in seeing what courses may transfer to our B.S. in Kinesiology or PEHTE? Read our Transferring website for links and course equivalency information from North Carolina Community Colleges.

Applying to the Major


The Pre-Kinesiology major has been eliminated, effective Fall 2022. Instead of major-restricted courses, additional prerequisites have been added to some core upper-level KIN courses. Check out the UNCG Course Catalog for more details about required KIN courses and their respective restrictions and prerequisites.

To apply to be formally admitted into the Physical Education and Health Teacher Education (PEHTE) major, students must first be Pre-PEHTE (PPHT) majors in the department. There are specific requirements that need to be fulfilled before students can apply to be accepted into the full major of Physical Education & Health Teacher Education (PHHT.) Please visit the Applying to the Major page to find information about changing your major or to review the requirements and access the application form to be admitted into the PHHT major.

KIN Online Appeal Form

An appeal can be completed for a range of issues including but not limited to: course substitution from a UNCG course, course substitution from a transferred course, prerequisite to be admitted to a course, GPA needed to be admitted to a course, etc.

To file a formal appeal, please submit a UNCG Kinesiology Department Appeal Form and follow all directions and submit all documents requested. Most appeals are reviewed by the KIN Undergraduate Studies Committee. Please see the sample student appeal letter for proper formatting of the appeal letter.

Course Overloads

An approved course overload is required for students who want to take more than 18 credit hours in Fall or Spring, or more than 7 credit hours in any one summer session. Students planning on taking winter session courses should keep in mind that the credit hours are added to Spring (i.e. 6ch in Winter plus 15ch in Spring would total 21 credits for a spring semester overload request.)

Generally, overloads are granted to students with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher, or students who are within one or two semesters of graduation.

Freshman and Sophomore Kinesiology majors request an overload through the HHS Advising Center.

PEHTE majors and Junior and Senior Kinesiology majors must submit a KIN Course Overload Request Form. Once submitted, your overload request will be forwarded to your academic advisor for review. Please make sure that you provide all information requested in detail so that your advisor has all of the pertinent information.

Registration Errors

There are any number of reasons that a student may encounter a registration error when trying to sign up for classes. Please submit a KIN Registration Error Form and don’t forget to upload a screenshot or picture of the registration error message that you are receiving.

Please note: The form linked here is ONLY for errors with KIN prefix courses. If you are having
trouble registering for another department’s course, please contact the corresponding
department for help.