The Department of Kinesiology has a specialized major in Physical Education and Health Teacher Education (PEHTE), leading to K-12 licensure to for teach physical education in North Carolina and many other states. This program prepares future teachers by providing opportunities for observation, participation, assisting, and teaching experiences with public school students, including those with special needs.
To participate in this major, students must meet the following requirements:
- Current major GPA of 2.5 or higher
- A minimum grade of C (not C-) in all KIN prefix courses taken at UNCG
- Successful completion of the following classes:
- BIO111 and lab (C- or better)
- BIO271 and lab or KIN291 and lab (C or better)
- KIN 250 (C or better)
- Twenty (20) hours of volunteer work in a physical activity setting
Resources for Physical Education and Health Teacher Education Students
PEHTE courses are currently going through updates and changes. We suggest to verify any question, comment, or concern with the PEHTE Program by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PEHTE Application for current students applying to the major
- PEHTE Course Sequence Sheet
- Requirements for Teacher Education (Coming Soon)
Physical Education and Health Teacher Education faculty
The U.S. Department of Education requires that all higher education institutions advise students as to whether their curriculum provides them with the eligibility to apply for a professional license and/or certification in the state for which they plan to practice.
As such, please review UNC Greensboro’s status by state for the B.S. in Physical Education & Health Teacher Education. You should note whether the program either “meets”, “does not meet”, or if there “has not been a determination” of the program’s status in the state for which you plan to practice. You should contact the Program Director, Judy Fowler at email@example.com with any questions regarding this data.
Click the following link to view the K-12 Physical Education and Health Licensure by State