Our graduate programs develop future practitioners, educators, researchers, and leaders in the field of Kinesiology. We offer competitive programs at the Master’s (M.S., M.S.A.T.) and Doctoral (Ed.D., Ph.D.) levels. Our doctoral program is ranked as one of the highest in the U.S. by the National Academy of Kinesiology (NAK).
Kinesiology graduate students begin their academic careers and professional lives with a strong foundation of knowledge, skills, faculty mentorship, and experience to guide them. UNCG graduate programs are also among the most affordable in the nation.
The department offers a number of graduate assistantships and opportunities to gain practical experience, both paid and unpaid. See Fellowships and Funding for more.
We offer five graduate degree options:
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Master of Science in Athletic Training (M.S.A.T.)
- Combined M.S./Ph.D.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Doctor of Education Online (Ed.D.)
Areas of Study
Typically, students pursuing MS and PhD degrees select a concentration or specialized area of study. The possible areas of study are below:
- Applied Neuromechanics (MS | PhD | Combined MS-PhD)
- Athletic Training (MSAT)
- Exercise Physiology (MS | PhD | Combined MS-PhD)
- Motor Behavior (MS | PhD | Combined MS-PhD)
- Curriculum and Pedagogy Studies in Physical Education (MS | PhD | Combined MS-PhD)
- Community Youth Sport Development (MS | PhD | Combined MS-PhD)
- Sport and Exercise Psychology (MS | PhD | Combined MS-PhD)
- Sport Medicine (MS)