Erin Reifsteck, Ph.D.
351-A Coleman Building
About Dr. Reifsteck
Dr. Erin Reifsteck holds a Ph.D. in Kinesiology (Sport and Exercise Psychology) and completed a post-doctoral fellowship with the Institute to Promote Athlete Health and Wellness at UNCG. She also has a graduate certificate in Women’s and Gender Studies from UNCG and a B.S. in Psychology with a minor in Neuroscience from Saint Francis University. Her current research focuses on promoting lifelong physical activity and health among athletes. Dr. Reifsteck has served as principal investigator for two NCAA-funded projects focused on the development of the Moving On! program, which supports student-athletes in making healthy transitions to life after sports.
KIN 644 Psychology of Sport and Exercise
Kin 701 Research Topics in Kinesiology
Kin 716 Mixed Methods in Kinesiology Research
Kin 778 Professional Seminar in Grant Writing
Scholarly and Professional Keywords
sport and exercise psychology; sport career transitions; physical activity promotion; gender and sport
Gill, D.L. Williams, L., & Reifsteck, E.J. (2017). Psychological dynamics of sport and exercise, 4th edition. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics
- Reifsteck, E. J., Newton, J. D., Smith, M. B., Davis Brooks, D., & Anderson, S. N. (in press). Journey from control to liberation: Exploring student-athletes’ physical activity perceptions and experiences in the transition out of collegiate sport. The Sport Psychologist.
- Reifsteck, E. J., Anderson, S. N., Newton, J. D., & Maher, J. P. (2021). A practical guide and empirical example for implementing ecological momentary assessment in sport psychology research with athletes. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology. Advance online publication. doi: 10.1037/spy0000252
- Reifsteck, E. J., Anderson, T., Newton, J. D., Shriver, L. H., & Wideman, L. (2021). Physical activity and health-related changes during transition out of collegiate football: A case series. Journal of Athletic Training, 56(1), 71-76. doi: 10.4085/1062-6050-0526.19
- Reifsteck, E. J., Janssen, J. A., & Wideman, L. (2020). Self-reported physical activity patterns of former collegiate student-athletes. Athletic Training and Sports Healthcare, 12(3), 119-126. doi: 10.3928/19425864-20190506-01
- Reifsteck, E. J., Brooks, D. D., Newton, J. D., Shriver, L. H. (2018). Promoting a healthy post-collegiate lifestyle: An evaluation of the Moving On! transition program for student-athletes. Journal of Higher Education and Athletics Innovation, 1(4), 54-76. doi: 10.15763/issn.2376-5267.
- Reifsteck, E. J. & Brooks, D. D. (2018). A transition program to help student-athletes move on to lifetime physical activity. Journal of Sport Psychology in Action, 9(1), 21-31. doi: 10.1080/21520704.2017.1303011
- Reifsteck, E.J., Gill, D.L., & Labban, J.D. (2016). “Athletes” and “Exercisers”: Understanding identity, motivation, and physical activity participation in former college athletes. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology, 5(1), 25-38. doi: 10.1037/spy0000046