Welcome Ed.D. in Kinesiology Graduate Assistants!

Posted on October 17, 2022

As we start a new academic year, new faces come along! This year, we have four graduate assistant students helping us in the Ed.D. in Kinesiology program. Our graduate assistant students are excited to be a part of this journey and are looking forward to giving a helping hand! Please welcome Yongsun “Sun” Lee, Maggie Best, Agustin Saldana, and Carrington Walden to the EdD in KIN family!

Hi everyone! I am Yongsun “Sun” Lee. I am a fifth-year doctoral student in Kinesiology with a focus in Community Youth Sport Development (CYSD) and will be graduating in December 2022. I am from South Korea and have been in Greensboro since 2013. I was fortunate to take my doctoral journey with Dr. Michael Hemphill, Dr. Tom Martinek, Dr. Pam Brown, Dr. Greg Daniels, and other KIN faculty members. As a PhD student, I’ve had opportunities to design and run sport-based youth development programs in a high school physical education, an after-school martial arts program, a summer camp, and a Taekwondo club, where social emotional learning and positive youth development are strong foundations. Teaching youth life skills through physical activities and martial arts (e.g., Taekwondo) is one of my main passions that led to conducting my dissertation study, “Unpacking Martial Arts Pedagogy in Sport-Based Youth Development.” The dissertation journey, of course, was not easy. The good news I would like to share here is that I passed my dissertation defense a week ago! I have had the privilege of being a GA for the EdD in KIN program for five years serving EdD in KIN students and core faculty members. I’ve facilitated many events, such as dissertation proposals and defense. I have attended more than 50 students’ dissertation proposals and defenses that have helped me shape my dissertation design. It was not only beneficial to me but also very enjoyable to learn unique and different ideas, perspectives and interests. Moreover, I, as a GA, have many opportunities to work with many EdD in KIN students who are experts and specialists in different areas, concentrations, and states. Lots of thanks to EdD in KIN program, especially to Dr. Pam Brown to make these positive connections and contributions possible. 

Hi, I’m Maggie Best. I am a first year Kinesiology Master’s student in the Applied Neuromechanics program here at UNCG! I’m originally from Raleigh, North Carolina. I graduated with my B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science in 2021 from Meredith College. I spent the last year and a half working at a large Orthopedic Physical Therapy clinic. In my free time, you will probably find me biking as I have recently picked up cycling with my partner Adam.  A passion of mine is dancing and has been for 19 years thus far. I’m also a huge ice hockey fan, so once the NHL season starts, you’ll also find me watching every Carolina Hurricanes game I can! I love to be active in many ways and strive to live a healthy lifestyle.

Hello! My name is Agustin Saldana. I am a first year Kinesiology Masters student in the Exercise Physiology program at UNC-Greensboro. I am from Greensboro, NC and a recent alum from UNC-Greensboro majoring in Kinesiology. In my free time, you will find me playing soccer and trying out new foods/restaurants throughout the city. 

Hey! My name is Carrington Walden. I received my undergraduate degree here at UNC-Greensboro in Kinesiology. I am now a first year Masters student in the Exercise Physiology program. I was born in Greensboro but grew up mostly in the Wake/Johnston county area. Along with being a full-time student, I am currently a Pharmacy Technician. I enjoy listening to music, playing/watching football, and I also have a Polariod camera that follows me everywhere I go!