Department of Kinesiology

School of Health and Human Sciences

Marcia Rosiek Keeps Courses Afloat During Hurricane Florence

Marcia Rosiek sitting at her desk.Props to EdD in KIN Student, and Coastal Carolina University Lecturer, Marcia Rosiek, for keeping her classes afloat during Hurricane Florence and now Hurricane Michael.  In addition to completing a certificate through the Distance Learning Institute for Coastal Carolina University and the Center of Teaching Excellence to Advance Learning (CeTeal) Marcia has taken course credit through the EdD program at UNC Greensboro in online pedagogy. “The importance of online teaching and learning is evident. Our students like to be online. They use their electronic devices to complete multiple task,” states Marcia.

This past summer Marcia was awarded a grant from the Coastal Office of Online Learning (COOL) to build and develop her new hybrid course over the summer.   She quickly applied some of the same technologies and practices to her other non-online courses,  like connecting student learning objectives to each week, helping students understand the expectations for completing the course successfully.  “When the hurricane came through our area, I made a video for my students with instructions for how to keep working during this time as they were evacuated. Since, we had been through hurricanes before, I knew the alternative was Saturdays!!! I voiced over lectures and instructions and it didn’t take much time because the framework was already there.”

Marcia is a big proponent of online teaching citing that it is effective and downright necessary in times of need.  And, “while developing and maintaining an online course takes some time,” Marcia remarks “so does teaching in a traditional classroom.”  She also recommends using lots of videos but warns, “I just remember to keep them short!”  Marcia is thankful for her experience as an online student at UNC Greensboro as well as her experience being the teacher of an online program at Coastal, “I believe diverse learning opportunities and accessibility are our primary responsibilities as educators. In my experience, both institutions realize the student[s] [have] expectations and we must be able to meet them.”  To learn more, watch Marcia’s interview on Coastal Now below!