Department of Kinesiology

School of Health and Human Sciences

Faculty Profile: Dr. William Adams

The UNCG KIN department is glad to recognize a new member of its close-knit community, William Adams, the new Assistant Professor and Associate Director of the Masters of Science in Athletic Training program. Adams holds a Bachelor’s degree from The University of Wisconsin-Madison, Master’s degree from The University of Connecticut and a Ph.D. from The University of Connecticut. Previously, he held a position at the Korey Stringer Institute at The University of Connecticut.

Adams’s research interests are focused on investigating various facets of exertional heat illness and maximizing athletic performance in the heat. Particularly, his interests lie in identifying strategies to optimize the prevention, treatment and recovery of exertional heat illness, examining the influence of hydration and thermal stress on exercise and recovery, and utilizing wearable technology to quantify human performance and recovery. The long-term goal of his research is to identify ways to integrate strategies to augment current evidence-based practices to mitigate risk and enhance human performance.

This semester, Adams is teaching KIN 642: Optimizing Athletic Performance to the MSAT students.

Adams spent most of his life growing up in northeast Wisconsin, however, he is a loyal Boston Red Sox and Patriots fan. He enjoy staying active and being outdoors with his wife and two dogs (Boston Terrier and Chihuahua). As a fun fact, I am a direct descendant of former Presidents John Adams and John Quincy Adams.

What do you enjoy about being part of the UNCG KIN department?
One of the things that I enjoy about being part of the Department of Kinesiology at UNCG is being surrounded by a group of colleagues who have excelled as educators and scholars as this allows me the opportunity to enhance my own professional growth as a teacher and researcher. I also enjoy being able to teach and mentor motivated students in the classroom and the laboratory as they prepare to begin their own professional careers.

In what ways does your research have real-world implications?
The research I conduct has real-world implications by supporting and enhancing current evidence-based best practices for the prevention, management and recovery of exertional heat stroke, optimizing athletic performance in the heat and preventing sudden death in sport and physical activity. Identifying strategies focused on the prevention, management and recovery of exertional heat stroke and the other leading causes of sudden death in sport and physical activity optimizes the health and safety of athletes, soldiers and those that are physically active and allows for the optimization of patient care.

What are some fun experiences you have had in your professional journey?
I have been very fortunate thus far in my professional journey as a clinician and researcher. Some of the most memorable experiences that I have had have been volunteering as a medical volunteer at events such as the Boston Marathon, Falmouth Road Race, Marine Corps Marathon and Beach to Beacon Road Race where I have been able to successfully treat over 40 patients with exertional heat stroke. This has been an awe-inspiring experience for me professionally as these runners are brought into the tent with a medical emergency and within 30 minutes their lives are saved and they are able to have dinner with their families that night. Aside from providing medical care to injured athletes, participating in these events has driven my passion for my research and has also allowed me to make many new and long-lasting friendships with colleagues from around the country.